Share this story...
Latest News

5 things you should never put in the microwave

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Microwaves do a lot of things well: reheat leftovers, pop popcorn and cook those Hot Pockets just right.  But, they can also catch fire.  You’ve likely heard metal in a microwave is a big no-no.  Here are five other things that’ll make a microwave dangerous.

HOT PEPPERS.

Hot peppers have capsaicin, the chemical that makes hot peppers hot.  It is very volatile and catches fire in a microwave.  Not only that, when nuked, the peppers release that capsaicin.  Your eyes will sting.  Your throat will burn.  Your day will be shot.

YOGURT OR BUTTER CONTAINERS

Many of us use old plastic butter containers to store leftovers.  If you do, just don’t warm them up in the microwave.  Toxic chemicals help shape these containers and make them stable.  They can’t take microwave heat.  They might melt, but they also release those chemicals into your food.

PLASTIC CONTAINERS

If you use Tupperware-like containers, remember they’re made of plastic.  So double check that it’s specifically labeled “microwave safe” before throwing those leftovers in the microwave.

STYROFOAM CONTAINERS

Same goes for styrofoam.  It’s a type of plastic and when thrown in the microwave for even a few seconds, it can leak toxic chemicals into your food.  There is microwave safe styrofoam, and only if it has that label should you cook your food in it.

PAPER BAGS

Need to warm up your sack lunch?  Well, don’t microwave it in the brown paper bag.  The bags can’t take the heat and can catch fire.  If that’s not enough to dissuade you – how about this?  Those bags release toxic fumes and have germs that might end up in your lunch.

NOTHING

And here’s something else you should never microwave – nothing!   If there’s no food to absorb the actual microwaves, you’ll burn out the magnetron.  That’s the thing that makes a microwave work.

KSL 5 TV Live