LOCAL NEWS

KSL Investigates: 5-day-old baby treated for CO poisoning; apartment lacked detector

Feb 13, 2018, 11:08 PM | Updated: Feb 14, 2018, 12:03 am
...

SALT LAKE CITY — State lawmakers may be poised to change a law banning local governments from requiring landlords to install carbon monoxide detectors in older apartments. Utah is the only state in the nation with this type of law on the books.

The lack of a CO detector in one Provo apartment nearly cost a young family their lives.

Baby Jane Taylor may hold a record no mother wants.

Back in January, baby Jane, who was only five days old at the time, was treated in a hyperbaric chamber with her mom for carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We’re lucky that things turned out the way that they did,” said Jane’s mother, Bethany Taylor. “I couldn’t believe this was happening to my brand new little baby and I was so worried about what was going to happen to her.”

The Taylors used a gas furnace in their apartment to help keep Jane warm. On their second night home from the hospital, Bethany Taylor, her husband Kendall Taylor, and her mother-in-law all felt sick. Jane was also acting strangely.

Bethany Taylor said, “My main concern was (Jane) was really sleepy and wasn’t eating and that’s how I knew that something was wrong with her because she’s a brand new baby, she’s hungry.”

Kendall Taylor searched the Internet with the family’s symptoms and came up with carbon monoxide poisoning. The apartment didn’t have a CO detector, so they decided to go to the hospital. Dr. James Stewart diagnosed Jane with CO poisoning. He put her in a hyperbaric chamber with her mom to squeeze out the poison from her blood.

“She was just like a baby again, she cried, she responded to her mom, she was very hungry when she came out of the chamber,” said Stewart.

He said the Taylors were incredibly lucky.

“Potentially you could have had three obituaries,” said Stewart.

Bethany Taylor shared her story with lawmakers Monday. She’s supporting the effort to repeal Utah’s current law. A recent KSL Investigation revealed the law bans cities and counties from requiring landlords to put carbon monoxide detectors in older apartments. Bethany Taylor said it should be changed.

“It’s something that should just become an automatic requirement just like a smoke detector, just like you know, a bathroom,” said Bethany Taylor.

The Taylors’ landlord installed carbon monoxide detectors after Bethany Taylor told her what happened. The landlord told the KSL Investigators the law should be changed.

Lawmakers put the bill on hold Monday. Several lawmakers urged the sponsor to change the language to split the responsibility for carbon monoxide detectors between landlords and tenants.

A shared responsibility provision would require landlords to install the detectors, and then tenants would have to maintain them. A lobbyist for the Utah Apartment Association told the committee it could support that change.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Local News

(Ashley Moser/KSL TV)...
Ashley Moser

Hundreds rally in support of lawsuit over Utah’s abortion ban

Hundreds gathered at the Utah Capitol Sunday in support of a lawsuit filed by Planned Parenthood of Utah & the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah to block the state’s abortion trigger law.
12 hours ago
(Nampa Police Department/Facebook)...
Josh Ellis

Amber Alert canceled after Idaho children found

Nampa police have issued an Amber Alert for two children they say were abducted by their babysitter who may be using drugs.
12 hours ago
A destroyed home in Ukraine...
Kiersten Nunez

Local nonprofit aims to fix lost homes in Ukraine

The nonprofit August Mission hopes to raise enough money to rehouse Ukrainians who lost their homes during the conflict against Russia.
1 day ago
A barbeque caught on fire at house in Sandy....
Michael Houck

Barbeque fire catches Sandy house on fire, displaces family

A barbeque caught on fire, causing a two-alarm house fire in Sandy Sunday evening.
1 day ago
FILE PHOTO (Idaho State Police/Facebook)...
Michael Houck

Kearns woman killed in two-vehicle crash in Idaho

A Kearns woman has died after being hit by a car while on a motorcycle in Idaho Saturday.
1 day ago
Iron County Search & Rescue responded to a injured mountain biker at Boulder Dash Trail. (Credit: I...
Michael Houck

Search & rescue crews help injured biker near Cedar City

Iron County Search & Rescue helped a mountain biker who needed help after getting hurt on a trail Saturday morning near Cedar City.
1 day ago

Sponsored Articles

hand holding 3d rendering mobile connect with security camera for security solutions...
Les Olson

Wondering what security solutions are right for you? Find out more about how to protect your surroundings

Physical security helps everyone. Keep your employees, clients, and customers safe with security solutions that protect your workplace.
Many rattan pendant lights, hay hang from the ceiling.Traditional and simple lighting....
Lighting Design

The Best Ways to Style Rattan Pendant Lighting in Your Home

Rattan pendant lights create a rustic and breezy feel, and are an easy way to incorporate this hot trend into your home decor.
Earth day 2022...
1-800-GOT-JUNK?

How Are You Celebrating Earth Day 2022? | 4 Simple Ways to Celebrate Earth Day and Protect the Environment

Earth Day is a great time to reflect on how we can be more environmentally conscious. Here are some tips for celebrating Earth Day.
Get Money Online...

More Ways to Get Money Online Right Now in Your Spare Time

Here are 4 easy ways that you can get more money online if you have some free time and want to make a little extra on the side.
Lighting trends 2022...

Lighting Trends 2022 | 5 Beautiful Home Lighting Trends You Can Expect to See this Year and Beyond

This is where you can see the latest lighting trends for 2022 straight from the Lightovation Show at the Dallas World Trade Center.
What Can't You Throw Away in the Trash...

What Can’t You Throw Away in the Trash? | 5 Things You Shouldn’t Throw in to Your Trash Can

What can't you throw away in the trash? Believe it or not, there are actually many items that shouldn't be thrown straight into the trash.
KSL Investigates: 5-day-old baby treated for CO poisoning; apartment lacked detector