8-year-old girl gets 3D-printed arm
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A young girl in Kansas City, Missouri is ready to take on the world after getting a special prosthetic arm that fits her like a glove.
It’s not 8-year-old Zadie Wilson’s birthday, but with the gift she’s getting it may as well be.
A couple of years ago, Zadie’s family visited Science City at Union Station. One of their makers connected them with an organization that made her arm for free.
Maker Specialist, Ryan Bell said, “Everything we do here is to help educate kids, but to really be making something impactful with our maker space is fabulous.”
Jacquin Buchanan designs and makes prosthetics as a hobby.
“Even though it’s just a hobby, you really are looking for something that’s more fulfilling than model airplanes, or something, you’re looking for something that’s going to help someone else out, and it really is nice to get that feeling,” Buchanan said.
When Zadie heard about her new arm, she was excited.
Zadie’s mother, Ashley Wilson said, “I told Zadie, and she’s jumping up and down running through the house going,`I get my arm! When?` Zadie’s been wanting to try it for a while, and if it’s something she wanted, I’m really happy for her.”
Zadie said, “Some things I need two arms to do, like, I’m scared to do without two arms.”
“Sometimes she’ll say it’s a little difficult for me. I wish I had another hand to help with it,” said Ashley Wilson.
But her mom said she never gives up, “Zadie is an amazing girl, and can do everything on her own. This is just another really cool tool for her to use.”
Her new arm will last for about two years until she outgrows it.
“I think it will be amazing when Zadie can build her own, and come in, and do this,” said Ashley Wilson.
Buchanan said, “If she can come back and have that making experience as well, and sort of cultivate that love of science and make that would be great too.”
So, for a girl who can do anything, all those involved believe they may have a “maker” in the making.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 36760)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 18142)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 7530)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil (pageviews: 6148)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 5835)
- Lehi mom stranded in snowstorm grateful for help from unexpected stranger - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5830)
- Winter storm leads to messy morning commute; schools moving online, delaying starts - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5795)