Man jumps out of window to escape Sandy house fire
SANDY — A Sandy man jumped out his bedroom window to escape a house fire early Sunday morning. He was uninjured.
Sandy City Fire Department Battalion Chief Eric Larson said the fire likely started in the garage of a home near 9000 South 400 West about 3:11 a.m. Sunday.
Larson said the home didn’t have working smoke detectors. By the time the man inside realized there was a fire, he had few options.
“He attempted to go out the front door and there was too much fire and smoke, and he bailed out through a bedroom window,” Larson said.
There was heavy damage to the house, and the garage was burned to the ground.
Larson said the fire could have easily had a much worse outcome. He said incidents like this one highlight the importance of having working smoke detectors.
“He’s extremely lucky to get out with his life without a working smoke detector,” Larson said.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 12623)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 8243)
- Netflix’s ‘Falling for Christmas’ filmed at these charming Utah locations - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6214)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as ‘the life of the party’ - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5376)
- Utah family gets 'a measure of justice' in 50-year-old rape case (pageviews: 5319)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4730)