99-year-old woman scolds intruder for making mess in her home
A 99-year-old West Valley City woman said she was not scared when a man with a gun came into her house Friday night. Police said the man held her in the house for several hours before finally letting her go.
According to a probable cause statement filed by an officer from the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office, detectives tried to arrest Freddy Velasquez, 18, on multiple felony warrants when they saw him at a motel in West Valley City Friday evening. They said Velasquez ran from them, jumping over a fence and disappearing into a neighborhood near 3500 South 2200 West. Police said Velasquez shot out the rear sliding glass door at the house of Doris Rucker Wasden, 99, and went inside.
Jim Gabbard is engaged to Wasden’s granddaughter, CJ Montoya. Gabbard said Velasquez threatened them with the gun and demanded car keys. He said police were right outside the door and helped him and Montoya to safety, but Wasden was still in her bedroom.
“He got into my jewelry box and he was looking for something and I said, ‘I’ve already had robbers in the house, so there’s not any good stuff in there!'” Wasden said.
Wasden is about to turn 100 years old, and she and her family had planned a party at the house for next weekend. She was not happy to see someone making a mess of things.
“He took the one tray out and dropped it on the floor and that’s when I told him, ‘Don’t make a mess!'” Wasden said.
During the next couple of hours, Wasden said Velasquez calmed down.
“I could tell he was scared and everything, because he told me the policemen were here and I told him, ‘You ought to just go rest on my couch and rest for a little while,’” she said.
Eventually, Wasden was able to get out of the house. Police said they arrested Velasquez when he found some keys and went into the garage to start the vehicle.
Wasden and her family still plan to hold her 100th birthday celebration on Saturday, inviting everyone in the community. She said she would especially like to see the officers and fire personnel who helped out Friday night. The family said they have no hard feelings for Velasquez and would like him to know they forgive him.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)