Community rallies around Eagle Mountain teen hit on bicycle
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — The community is rallying around an Eagle Mountain teen after he was hit by a vehicle while riding a bike.
The accident happened March 10, around 5 p.m.
Police said Aaron Wynn, 14, was riding bikes with a friend along Pony Express Parkway. When they began to cross the road, police say a passing vehicle hit Aaron.
They don’t believe the boys saw the vehicle coming, and they said it appeared the driver tried to avoid them.
Aaron went by helicopter to Primary Children’s Hospital in critical condition. Family members said he had head and leg injuries.
Aaron’s grandmother, Kathaleen Wynn, said a quick response made a big impact.
“The fact that he’s young, the fact that they responded so quickly, and that we live so close to Primary’s, so it wasn’t very long before he was getting trauma care,” Wynn said Sunday.
Since the accident, Wynn said her grandson has made some improvements.
“Primary Children’s, I believe, is staffed by well-trained angels,” Wynn said.
The day he showed a response to his parents was big.
“He squeezed his mom’s hand when his dad asked him to and when his dad started talking, he pointed at his dad,” Wynn said. “You can just imagine how much joy that brought all of us to know that he can still recognize people.”
Family and friends have rallied around the teen. A relative’s soccer team wrote his name on their legs during a game and an online fundraiser has reached more than $11,000.
“All those little things that the community does, they make a difference to the family, and we thank you for all that support,” she said.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 8768)
- Get Gephardt: Husband sued for deceased wife’s unpaid medical bill - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6320)
- Judge calls Orem mayor 'lynchpin' in fraud case, orders him and son to pay $1M (pageviews: 5012)
- NB I-15 reopens following crash, massive oil spill in Draper - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4958)
- NB I-15 closed in Draper following multi-car crash, oil spill (pageviews: 4861)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4639)