Drive-by shooting in West Valley City injures rap group members, teenage bystander
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police said three members of a rap group and a teenage bystander were hurt in a drive-by shooting in West Valley City Saturday night.
According to West Valley City Police Lieutenant Amy Maurer, an unspecified rap group, traveling in an RV, was stopped in the parking lot of a Walmart along 5600 West. Around 8:10 Saturday evening, a person in a red Hyundai exchanged words with the group, then left the parking lot. As the Hyundai drove past on 5600 West, police said someone in the vehicle fired several shots at the RV. Police said three members of the rap group were hit, but tried to leave in their RV, which had a flat tire. Police found them nearby and called an ambulance for help.
Police said a 36-year-old man was shot in the leg, a 23-year-old man was shot in the buttocks, and a 22-year-old man was shot in the abdomen. All three, they said, were stable.
In the Walmart parking lot, police said they found a 14-year-old female bystander shot in the hip. She was taken to the hospital and police said she was stable.
“It’s sad to have four victims, but in a parking lot this size and as busy as it is, to not have more victims is kind of astonishing,” Maurer said.
Maurer said investigators were trying to find whoever shot at the group. She said they were following up on a possible license plate and interviewing the victims and witnesses. They’re also gathering surveillance video from nearby businesses.
“We got some initially, but we’re looking to get hopefully some better-quality ones and hopefully get more details on the suspect,” Maurer said.
- Kirstie Alley, Emmy-winning ‘Cheers’ star, dies at 71 (pageviews: 23761)
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 6035)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5428)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 5364)
- ‘It’s kind of an eerie feeling;’ Utah man living in Hawaii witnesses Mauna Loa eruption - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4461)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 3951)