Fire crews tackling fire at Plastic Manufacturing Warehouse in SLC
SALT LAKE CITY — More than 30 firefighters are tackling a tricky fire at a plastic product manufacturing warehouse in Salt Lake City early Monday morning.
SLC Fire Department assistant chief over operations, Karl Steadman said the plastic inside C & M Manufacturing on 657 South 4150 West is making extinguishing it difficult.
“It’s going to burn a lot and it’s going to burn quick, so there’s a lot of smoke with that kind of fire,” he said.
Fire crews were called to the scene around 4 a.m. Monday, according to Steadman, who said an owner called for help. He’s not sure if the owner was inside the commercial building at the time. He says the fire was contained to the production area.
Around 5 a.m. Monday Steadman said, “We just accomplished a vertical vent where we’ve actually cut a hole in the top of the structure. It allows the smoke and the gases to come out, so that’ll help us get closer to the fire as far as, kind of, clear some of the air and get inside the structure.”
Steadman warns drivers that the commute on 7th South near this fire, which is just west of Bangerter Highway, will be very smoky. He said if it were burning in daylight, passersby would see black smoke because of the hazardous materials inside the building.
In addition, falling snow made the fire fight more dangerous and slick for crews on scene.
We’re told there have been no reported injuries. It’s unclear of the extent off the damage to the building at this point.
Investigators will be looking into a cause Monday.
- Why this mom’s abortion decision challenged her family’s religious beliefs (pageviews: 8360)
- At least 2 injured after semi hauling beehives tips on I-80 (pageviews: 8027)
- 48 migrants die after trailer abandoned in Texas heat (pageviews: 6371)
- Family members remember, honor two USU plane crash victims (pageviews: 6297)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 4692)
- Man arrested for domestic violence after victim calls police under guise to 'order a pizza' (pageviews: 3431)