Arrests made in deaths of missing Eureka teens
EUREKA, Juab County — Jerrod William Baum, 41, has been arrested in connection to the deaths of two missing teens whose bodies were believed to have been found in a mine shaft Wednesday.
The Utah County Sheriff’s Office said Baum was arrested for investigation of aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping, desecration of a body and witness tampering, among other charges.
Wednesday investigators recovered two bodies from the Tintic Standard Mine outside of Eureka. While they are still awaiting the results from the Medical Examiner’s Office, officials believe the bodies are those of 18-year-old Riley Powell and 17-year-old Breezy Otteson.
For three months, there’s been a cross-county search for the couple. They were last seen in Mammoth on December 30, and never arrived home. Police reported that Powell’s Jeep was found under suspicious circumstances, with slashed tires, in January.
According to a probable cause statement filed with Baum’s arrest, after multiple interviews, Baum’s girlfriend Morgan Henderson told police that Baum had tied up the couple, drove them to a mine, killed them with a knife, and dumped their bodies.
Police used Facebook messages to connect the couple to Henderson. According to the PC statement, she and the couple had met up the night the teens went missing.
Baum has a lengthy criminal including felony convictions for theft, aggravated assault, and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person.
The Utah County Sheriff said multiple arrests have been made in this case. We’ll have more information as it becomes available.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)