$5 prom tickets make dance affordable at East High School
SALT LAKE CITY — East High School in Salt Lake City has found a way to make prom affordable for all students by making the dance all-inclusive for only $5 a ticket.
“We feel that prom is something that needs to be enjoyed rather than worrying about the cost of it,” said Ainu Kaufusi, student body vice president at East High School. “We wanted to reach out to students who don’t usually come to dances.”
Throughout the school year, the high school has focused on inclusiveness and unity. That’s when student leaders realized that the high cost of the dance kept some from attending.
“Instead of catering to one specific group of kids who can afford it,” Kaufusi said, “how can we include everyone in this school?”
Organizers decided to change the approach to Saturday’s dance by finding donations to provide charter bus transportation, dresses, photos, a dance venue and a movie activity afterward.
“We have encouraged stag, so just about anyone can come,” said Dalton Hoops, a student body officer. “A lot of our students are economically disadvantaged.”
Hoops went on to say that 60 percent of students at East High School qualify for free or reduced lunch. The school has a diverse student body due to a large boundary that stretches though various socio-economic levels.
A clothing exchange, set up in one of the classrooms, allows students to choose from new or gently used dresses. The students hope other schools follow their lead to cut down on the price tag for prom and other school dances.
“It’s been huge,” Hoops said. “I’ve definitely heard kids saying they’re excited for prom in the hallways — so it will be awesome.”
- Utah teen dies after becoming trapped underneath sand in Kanab (pageviews: 14172)
- Jerry Bruckheimer addresses Johnny Depp’s future with ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ franchise – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 14014)
- Provo officer’s death recognized as line-of-duty from meth exposure 16 years later (pageviews: 6911)
- US reaches deal to reopen shuttered baby formula plant (pageviews: 5407)
- Big cross-border tunnel is found linking Tijuana to San Diego (pageviews: 4923)
- Pedestrian killed in Ogden crash (pageviews: 3920)