Share this story...
Latest News

Barricaded suspect arrested after two-hour standoff in Herriman

A horse from a home at 13351 South 7300 West roams after SWAT officers broke down a fence in several places to gain access to the home where a man was barricaded in Herriman. Photo courtesy Scott G Winterton)

HERRIMAN, Utah – A SWAT standoff kept part of a Salt Lake County community on a shelter-in-place order Thursday afternoon, with a nearby elementary school put on a precautionary lockout. The calls to 911 emergency dispatchers brought police to a neighborhood near 13400 South and 7300 West in Herriman.


Officers from the Unified Police Department were called to a shed fire and the report of a man, armed with a rifle, who was breaking windows in a neighboring home.

Detectives said the suspect, 35-year-old Billy Hoglund, broke into his parent’s home. The motive for his actions remained under investigation.

“When our officers came to take him into custody, he began to fight.”

Dramatic images of the SWAT team deploying in armored vehicles could be seen from Chopper 5.

Butterfield Canyon Elementary school was placed on lockout protocol as a precaution.

Unified Police Lieutenant Brian Lohrke said officers moved slowly as a precaution after Hoglund claimed he had a hostage.


“In this situation we didn’t have that information, [and] didn’t believe it. We were using time to get him out of the house and talk him out of the house, not just go inside and do what we could do and but we tried to do it with the least amount of force necessary,” Lohrke said.

Following four flash bangs and several rounds of tear gas, Hoglund came outside. Officials said he still put up a fight, before he was arrested.


“He came out the front door and we gave him commands to get on the ground and he complied, but when our officers came to take him into custody, he began to fight. We got him into custody with no serious injuries,” said Lohrke. “He is being evaluated and we are going to talk to him and see what led up to this,” Lohrke added.

No shots were fired, either by Hoglund or police.


Hoglund was expected to be booked into the Salt Lake County on several charges.

KSL 5 TV Live