University Of Utah asks drivers to try e-bikes
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Walking by the campus library in between classes, Parker Winchester was drawn to a display of electric bicycles.
“I’ve never seen one before,” she said. “Now that I think about it, it seems pretty practical.”
After a short training session, Winchester pedaled away for a test ride, although she says the bicycle did most of the work.
“I feel like I’m in control, but I’m going at a faster pace,” Winchester said. “I only did the first mode, and it was still really fast, so I’m assuming that the sport mode would get you really fast.”
The University of Utah Sustainability Office, and Utah Clean Energy are hoping more people will look into e-bikes, as an alternative to get around the area. The University’s Active Transportation Manager, Ginger Cannon said the goal is to simply cut down on smog emissions.
“Fifty percent of the emissions in the Salt Lake Valley comes from tailpipes,” Cannon said. “This is our way of wanting to get more cars off the road, and getting people to try and e-bike. They’re wonderful for the really hilly terrain we have along the Wasatch Front.”
People in the community around the University, can get a discount code for an e-bike, by going to electric.utah.edu, which can then be used at participating dealers through May 26.
Winchester said the bikes seem like an attractive alternative to driving.
“I think that something like this would trigger people to want to go green and get a bike, because it’s so practical,” she said.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 31424)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 20372)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil (pageviews: 6785)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6168)
- Winter storm leads to messy morning commute; schools moving online, delaying starts - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5857)
- Lehi mom stranded in snowstorm grateful for help from unexpected stranger - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4471)