Man dead after officer-involved shooting on Salt Lake’s east side
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — An officer-involved shooting in one of Salt Lake City’s most venerable neighborhoods left a man dead, police said late Wednesday.
Investigators said officers initially responded to a home near 1100 E. Princeton Ave. on a domestic violence call, and found Pikyavit outside.
After officers contacted Pikyavit, he ran inside the house, Shearer said, leading police to call out a SWAT team and negotiators.
Shearer said a woman, who was considered a victim in the domestic violence incident, remained outside the home while Pikyavit was barricaded inside.
“At some point after over an hour of trying to talk to the man, he came out of the home and approached officers,” Shearer said. “His actions caused the officers to respond, at which time the suspect was shot.”
West Valley City Police were called in to investigate the shooting.
Detectives declined to elaborate on what exact actions led to shots being fired, citing the pending investigation.
Police also declined to elaborate on the relationship between Pikyavit and the woman, simply acknowledging that it was of a domestic nature.
Court records showed that Pikyavit had multiple prior convictions for DUI and drug possession, as well as a guilty plea in a misdemeanor interfering with an arresting officer case.
“It’s sad that it escalated to that — like, why?” questioned Kaytee Lucherini. “It’s really sad, because you just don’t hear about that in this neighborhood.”
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)