Construction incident causes gas explosion in Orem
OREM, Utah – A construction crew, working on a transformer, ruptured a gas line, leading to an explosion and fire, firefighters said Thursday.
The incident happened just before 2 p.m. Thursday outside of a strip mall, along State Street between 800 South and 1000 South. Firefighters said there were flames shooting higher than the building’s rooftop when they arrived.
“Fortunately, the type of construction of the building, being a brick building prevented any immediate fire-spread. The gas leak and the resulting fire occurred immediately. Had the gas leak been in process and the source of fire introduced to it, we would have had a much larger explosion,” said Battalion Chief Ryan Peterson of the Orem Fire Department.
Firefighters got the flames out and kept watering the area down to prevent the gas from re-igniting.
“We haven’t determined whether or not it was the equipment that ignited the spark or the transformer that was in close proximity,” Peterson said.
Peterson said some smoke got into the building, but firefighters got the flames out before it could damage the inside of the building. By 5 p.m. Thursday, crews had contained the leak, and State Street had reopened. Crews hoped to have the gas line working properly by Friday morning.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 3683)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)