Man charged with aggravated murder in Tremonton is free
TREMONTON, Utah – A man charged with aggravated murder in the shooting death of a man in Tremonton is free.
Records show Brandon Thompson, a suspect in the first murder case in Tremonton in half a century, posted bail and is back on the streets.
A family member of the victim spoke with KSL TV News Specialist Nicole Vowell Thursday night.
“I feel that he’s a risk to the community. I mean, he was a restricted person. He had guns, he had no regard for the law, and now he’s back out in the community.”
By phone, a close family member of Michael Hogensen, who did not want to be identified, told KSL she feels wronged by the justice system.
“I was devastated,” she said.
Thompson is accused of shooting and killing Hogensen following a verbal argument. Thompson called 911 to report a man had been shot, police said. When police arrived, they learned Thompson and the victim had an argument “which ended with shots being fired,” according to a statement from Tremonton police.
“Who’s to say he’s not going to lose his temper again and do this to another family,” she said.
During Thompson’s initial appearance, charging documents state prosecutors fought to raise his bail, stating he is a “danger” and “likely to flee.” The documents also stated Thompson “took significant steps to hide, destroy, and alter evidence.”
The judge denied the request, setting a cash-only bail at $40,600.
“That low of a dollar amount was kind of a slap in the face,” the family member said.
Hogensen’s family believes the courts are putting the community at risk by allowing this to happen.
“Someone like this, who just has no regard for laws, and carrying a weapon, and shooting unarmed people over verbal arguments – it’s a concern for anyone,” she said.
Thompson is expected in court on Monday. Hogensen’s family hopes he makes his court appearance so they can seek justice.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17145)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 9231)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 5239)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 4464)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4141)