Dozens of Utah restaurants go “strawless”
LOGAN, Utah – The Greek Streak II restaurant may be far from Salt Lake City, but that didn’t stop owner, Mario Trejo from joining the Strawless in SLC cause. Since Monday, he’s removed straws from the soda fountain area of his restaurant.
“It made me think about how much plastic we are using here,” Trejo explained. “I wish we had done it sooner, because we have been open for two years, and thinking about how many straws we went through is quite scary.”
Strawless in SLC set a goal to enlist 50 restaurants within the city limits by Earth Day, Sunday, April 22. Instead, they signed on 136 restaurants, thanks to combined efforts with The Green Party of Utah, which convinced Costa Vida to include all 95 of their locations. Similar efforts have started up around the country, which focus on eliminating plastic straws, since the resin used to make them is unable to be recycled.
Trejo, who serves mostly return customers at his small restaurant says he hasn’t had any major complaints. So far, only a few customers have requested straws. Customers, like Kevin Payne noticed, but didn’t mind the change.
“I remember thinking out loud like, ‘where did the straws go?'” Payne said. “And then I saw the sign and was like, ‘okay,’ I mean, they have these cool little lids that you can drink out of anyways.”
Restaurants that join in the effort can use the flip-open style lids, or biodegradable options, like paper straws. Trejo says the small change was easy to make, and he believes it will make a big difference.
“It’s just a part of life to use them (straws) with your everyday sodas and drinks, but when you think about it, you don’t really need it,” Trejo said. “So, when you’re given that challenge, ‘do I need it? Do I not?’ Most people are just not going to use it.”
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)