Man reeling after 2 dogs running loose in popular Sandy park, killed his Yorkie
SANDY, Utah – You could say walking in the park, three times a week, has been a lifesaver for Norm Larson. He credits his walking partner, Bobo, a 6-year-old Yorkie, for helping him get through treatment for leukemia.
“Consoled me when I was down, and licked me when I was up, but he was there,” Larson said.
But on Wednesday morning, while walking together in Flat Iron Mesa Park, near 8600 South and 1800 East in Sandy, Larson says two big dogs came after Bobo, who was on a leash.
Larson let go of Bobo’s leash and when he found him, he had been severely bitten. The vet began treatment at an animal hospital and while there were no broken bones, the vet said surgery would be necessary to repair several lacerations. But when Larson called on Thursday morning for an update on Bobo’s condition, he got some bad news.
“I called yesterday morning to go pick him, and he said he had gone, he had passed away.”
Larson called 911, but Sandy animal control officers were not able to find the dogs that attacked Bobo.
Friday, a Sandy animal control officer was patrolling the park, to ensure leash laws are followed. Officers focus on education, but also can issue citations.
“Be responsible, make sure you know where your animals are,” said Sgt. Jason Nielsen, with the Sandy Police Department.
“Keep your eye out if you do see a loose animal, if you do see any, call, our animal service officers will respond, and take custody of those animals and find the owners,” Nielsen added.
Larson says he feels responsible to warn people who enjoy this park, not only pet owners, but also parents of young children.
“My purpose is not to seek restitution, but just to make people aware of what has happened in this park and that it could happen again.”
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 8768)
- Get Gephardt: Husband sued for deceased wife’s unpaid medical bill - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6320)
- Judge calls Orem mayor 'lynchpin' in fraud case, orders him and son to pay $1M (pageviews: 5012)
- NB I-15 reopens following crash, massive oil spill in Draper - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4958)
- NB I-15 closed in Draper following multi-car crash, oil spill (pageviews: 4861)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4639)