Federal investigation into gangs in Salt Lake City leads to drug trafficking arrests
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – United States Attorney John Huber announced several people had been arrested across the Salt Lake Valley this week, accused of conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine.
Huber said the case was investigated through the Utah Project Safe Neighborhoods initiative. Several agencies joined together for the investigation. In raids earlier this week, Huber said investigators found 15 pounds of methamphetamine, 15 firearms, a half-pound of cocaine, and several pounds of marijuana. Huber said investigators also seized $36,000 in cash.
“These amount, 15, 16 pounds seized and $36,000 in cash on hand gives you an idea that there is evidence of a lot of trafficking going on,” Huber said at a news conference Friday afternoon.
Huber said the investigation targeted the group known as “Glenmob.” He said Glenmob is a music group that’s also made up of people who have had other gang associations. Huber said they began targeting gangs after spikes in violent crime in 2015 and 2016. In fall of 2017, residents of Kearns and Magna organized a town hall asking for law enforcement to stop violent crimes in the area.
“They told us we need help out here, and we have been working for a long time trying to reduce that violent crime,” Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera said.
Twelve of the 15 people named in the complaint have already been arrested. Investigators are still searching for three of them. Huber said his prosecutors would present the case to a grand jury in the coming days to see what formal charges could follow.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)