UPDATE: 3-year-old critically injured in fall from Spanish Fork window
SPANISH FORK, Utah – The aunt of a 3-year-old girl who fell out of a window in Spanish Fork Sunday night says the child is facing a long road to recovery.
She told KSL TV that the family had just moved into the home and hadn’t added window locks yet.
Spanish Fork Police say the girl named Kalyssa fell 13-feet out of a second story window and landed on cement at the home near 23rd E. Ranch Hand Way.
She was rushed to Utah Valley Regional Hospital in critical condition before she was flown to Primary Children’s Hospital, according to Lt. Brandon Anderson, Spanish Fork Police Department.
Kalyssa has a fractured skull, a brain bleed and broke her spine. Doctors told her family she’s going to need at least four surgeries and both physical and occupational therapy.
There is a GoFundMe account to help with the family’s medical expenses.
The girl’s parents want to remind others that window locks can’t wait, and even though they’re vigilant and had talked to their children about keeping windows closed, their 5-year-old son opened one.
These types of falls happen more often during the warmer months. Last week, a 2-year-old fell out of a second floor window in North Ogden, according to North Ogden Fire Marshal Ryan Barker. We are waiting to hear back about that child’s current condition.
According to Primary Children’s Hospital, each year 15 to 20 kids under 11-years-old die in the United States from such falls. They say nearly 15,000 are injured. They suggest parents talk to their kids about playing away from windows. More resources for parents are online.
- School Officials Apologize For 'Abhorrent' Quote In Highland High Yearbook (pageviews: 22143)
- Eight Arrested After Rally In Cottonwood Heights Turns Violent (pageviews: 13986)
- Guidelines For Utah Schools Prompts Family To Rethink Sending Students Back (pageviews: 5963)
- Wilford Brimley, 'Cocoon' And 'Natural' Actor, Dies At 85 (pageviews: 4543)
- Delivered Package Ignites On Eagle Mountain Front Porch (pageviews: 4134)
- Jury Finds State Of Washington Negligent In Deaths Of Susan Powell's Children (pageviews: 3699)
- Suspect Killed; West Jordan Officer Shot In Shoulder (pageviews: 2979)
- Friends Of Teens Injured In Logan Canyon Crash Gather To Show Support (pageviews: 2841)
- Medical Helicopter Dispatched To Utah Lake After Report Of Person Being 'Entangled' In Propeller (pageviews: 2538)