UPDATE: 3-year-old critically injured in fall from Spanish Fork window
SPANISH FORK, Utah – The aunt of a 3-year-old girl who fell out of a window in Spanish Fork Sunday night says the child is facing a long road to recovery.
She told KSL TV that the family had just moved into the home and hadn’t added window locks yet.
Spanish Fork Police say the girl named Kalyssa fell 13-feet out of a second story window and landed on cement at the home near 23rd E. Ranch Hand Way.
She was rushed to Utah Valley Regional Hospital in critical condition before she was flown to Primary Children’s Hospital, according to Lt. Brandon Anderson, Spanish Fork Police Department.
Kalyssa has a fractured skull, a brain bleed and broke her spine. Doctors told her family she’s going to need at least four surgeries and both physical and occupational therapy.
There is a GoFundMe account to help with the family’s medical expenses.
The girl’s parents want to remind others that window locks can’t wait, and even though they’re vigilant and had talked to their children about keeping windows closed, their 5-year-old son opened one.
These types of falls happen more often during the warmer months. Last week, a 2-year-old fell out of a second floor window in North Ogden, according to North Ogden Fire Marshal Ryan Barker. We are waiting to hear back about that child’s current condition.
According to Primary Children’s Hospital, each year 15 to 20 kids under 11-years-old die in the United States from such falls. They say nearly 15,000 are injured. They suggest parents talk to their kids about playing away from windows. More resources for parents are online.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 15557)
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 12470)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9294)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 6279)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6040)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5879)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5783)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 5356)