Man killed, son sustains serious burns in Brigham City fire
BRIGHAM CITY, Utah – A fire engulfed and destroyed a mobile home in Brigham City Tuesday. A neighbor can be heard trying to help the surviving victim as she made a 911 call for help.
The call to emergency dispatchers was made around 8:45 a.m. An unidentified woman made a call to 911 to report that her neighbor’s home was on fire. She had no idea she would end up running over to help the surviving burn victim.
“There’s massive smoke!” the woman said in a 911 recording.
Just seconds later in the conversation, a dispatcher asked the woman if she knew whether anyone was in the house. That’s when the caller noticed something else.
“Yes! There’s somebody outside actually right now, stepping outside! I need help!” she exclaimed.
“Anybody on fire?” the dispatcher asked.
“Yes! Yes, there’s somebody on fire!” the woman responded frantically.
In the brief moments following, the dispatcher can be heard asking the caller to try and spray water on the man with a garden hose.
“Can you get over to him?” the dispatcher asked.
“Yes. I’m not okay with what’s going on right now,” the woman cried out.
Seconds later, first responders arrived. Dashcam provided by the Brigham City Fire Department showed the trailer being overcome by the fire.
After firefighters put out the flames, they discovered 83 year-old Kenneth Beach’s body.
His son, Mike Beach was flown to University of Utah Hospital’s Burn Center for treatment. Family members told KSL in an email that Beach was expected to remain in a medically-induced coma for the next few weeks, and that 24 percent of his body was burned.
In a written statement, the family expressed thanks to the neighbor who called for help, and ran to Beach’s aid.
“We would also like to thank the first responders, the fire department, the medical staff at the Brigham City Community Hospital, the LifeFlight staff, and the doctors and staff at the University of Utah Burn Center,” the statement said. “We ask for privacy as we mourn the loss of our father and grandfather, and continued prayers for Mike who has a long recovery ahead of him.”
Family members have set up an account in Mike Beach’s name at America First Credit Union. They have also posted a GoFundMe page for the same purpose.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10137)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 9660)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6421)
- 2 killed in separate Utah Co. crashes; 1 injured after hitting school bus in Clearfield (pageviews: 6158)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3625)
- A Spanish Fork high school homecoming dress code causes tension between students and faculty – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3418)