After the holiday, be prepared for construction
SANDY, Utah – It’s not often you see a sailboat at a gas station in Sandy.
“Today’s going to be our first time out on the water,” said Darrell Peck of South Jordan, who was fueling up his truck with his wife Wendy before heading to Bear Lake.
“We’re going to go play for the weekend,” she said with their sailboat named “Buttercup” attached to their truck’s trailer.
Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer for many families. AAA estimates more than 41.5 million Americans will travel this weekend—the most in more than a dozen years.
Millions will drive to their weekend destinations, and the Utah Department of Transportation has a reminder for your return. Bangerter Hwy will be reduced two lanes in both directions between 78th and 90th South Tuesday.
“The amount of growth that is happening in that part of the valley is tremendous,” said Marwan Farah, who is managing this UDOT project.
The lane closures will continue through July, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Farah says the headache will be worth it.
“People will eventually have free mobility not stopping at the lights. It will be much safer.”
UDOT employees will an enjoy a vacation this weekend too, but not Utah Highway Patrol. Troopers across the state will work 250 overtime shifts, focused on DUIs, speed, seatbelts, and distracted drivers.
Drivers on their way out of town are hoping traffic is minimal.
“When you’re a sailor you go slow enough you don’t really care about the traffic. If it takes us all day to get there, we won’t worry about it,” said Darrell Peck.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 21340)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 8551)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 7157)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 6307)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 3940)