Event empowers parents with tools, advice to combat kids’ social media troubles
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – Tablets, phones and social media remain a huge challenge for parents trying to raise the next generation, while helping kids to avoid things like depression and bullying.
Wednesday night, a few hundred parents received some helpful tools and advice from researchers, counselors and police at an education event at Brighton High School.
The “Parent Education Night” was organized and hosted by Collin Kartchner, a man who has leveraged a 58,000-plus Instagram following to raise awareness about the ill-effects of social media.
“Nudes and sexting and sending nude photos used to be really like, ‘what the heck?’” Kartchner explained to the crowd. “Now, it’s a rite of passage.”
Speakers included those with expertise in the effects of electronics on child brains and on how to recognize social distress.
They warned of “finstas” or fake Instagram accounts, which can be used to by teens to share or access explicit content and they encouraged parents to have defined limits on electronics, to challenge their kids in the world around them, and to let them fail so they can grow.
Kartchner said to expect similar events around the state in the coming months.
Parent Heather Christensen said she viewed the advice from the speakers as helpful, even for adults struggling with social media and smartphones.
“It’s not going away, so we obviously need to teach our children better tools and better skills how to navigate,” Christensen said. “I think it’s important for (children) to hear these statistics, too, so they know what they’re facing.”
- Gephardt: Tracking Down $130K That Vanished After Bank Closes Woman’s Savings Account (pageviews: 14493)
- New Utah Law Keeps Convicted Murderer From Parole Unless Body Found (pageviews: 4930)
- Community Rallies To Support Young Street Corner Entrepreneur (pageviews: 4702)
- KSL Investigates Bill Aimed To Combat Utah Housing Boom, Affordability (pageviews: 4120)
- Utah DWR Looking For Driver Who Allegedly Sped Up To Hit, Kill Deer (pageviews: 2915)
- 22 More COVID Deaths Reported In Utah; Over 700K Vaccines Administered (pageviews: 2449)
- Utahn Who Has Had Three Heart Transplants Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 2260)
- Utah Nurse Who Battled COVID-19 Released From Hospital After Double-Lung Transplant (pageviews: 1949)
- Police: Provo Man Stabbed Child, Thinking Someone Else Was In Bed With His Wife (pageviews: 1856)