Woman escapes serious injury after crashing into Pineview Reservoir
PINEVIEW RESERVOIR, Utah – A Weber County woman lost control of her car and ended up in the water at Pineview Reservoir Saturday morning. She escaped serious injury.
Sergeant Nealy Adams of the Weber County Sheriff’s Office said the crash happened around 11:30 Saturday morning. He said the woman was driving a Subaru Baja south on Highway 158 along Pineview Reservoir. He said the car drifted off the right side of the road and she over-corrected to the left. The car shot across the road, through a turnout, and over a berm. The car sailed through the air, flipping and landing on its roof 20 or so feet below, then bounced into the reservoir.
“She was able to quickly realize what was going on, was able to collect herself, take her seat belt off. There was still power to the vehicle, so she was able to unroll the window and climb out,” Sgt. Adams said.
The woman swam back to the shore as the car sank. She had no serious injuries.
“I talked to her today. She has some minor abrasions and some cuts, but overall, she’s doing very well,” Sgt. Adams said.
Sgt. Adams said they do not believe excessive speed or alcohol were involved in the crash. He said the crash highlights what a difference a seat belt can make.
“Talking to her today, she said that people made some comments to her to head to Idaho for a lottery ticket. She considers herself very lucky. I just attribute it to her wearing her safety equipment,” Sgt. Adams said. “She was wearing her seat belt. Always, seat belts save lives, so we’re very grateful she was wearing the seat belt, very grateful for the outcome.”
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 15643)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 11669)
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 10835)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8469)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7504)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 7233)