LOCAL NEWS

Firefighters: Home exploded after woman used gasoline to clean

Jun 12, 2018, 11:04 PM | Updated: Jun 13, 2018, 9:51 am

SOUTH OGDEN, Utah — Fire investigators said a home exploded Tuesday morning after a woman used gasoline to house clean.

Crews arrived to the home, located at 183 Country Club Dr., and found one side wall of the house essentially blown out from the frame.

South Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Rick Rasmussen said it appeared what had taken place was an accident involving “bad judgment.”

“When police talked to the renter on this, she was using gasoline, approximately two-and-a-half gallons of gasoline, downstairs to clean up the floor, to clean up some grease or some tar off the floor,” said South Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Rick Rasmussen. “So, what happened then is that gasoline, being heavier than air, migrates to the water heater and that water heater is about 8-inches off the ground, so boom.”

Rasmussen said the woman escaped with no significant injuries, though the roof had also been raised off the frame by the explosion.

“She got a few singed hairs and she’s OK,” Rasmussen said. “It’s miraculous, really.”

Rasmussen said gasoline is occasionally used as a solvent, but it should never be used inside a house.

“The vapors are three times heavier than air, so whether you’re using it upstairs or whatever, those vapors are going to go down the stairs and hit the water heater and you’re going to have a problem,” Rasmussen said.

Rasmussen said the gasoline was being used about 15-feet from the house’s water heater.

“It’s just misfortune, you know, she doesn’t understand the nature of gasoline,” Rasmussen said.

Neighbors, who were around at the time, said they heard something that sounded like a building had collapsed.

“Boom!” exclaimed Maria Mariscal, who lives across the street.

Next-door neighbor Suzi Noker said the explosion sent glass shards and debris flying into the side of her car, which had been left in her carport.

“It was so loud, it lifted my bed off of the floor!” she exclaimed.

Jessica Bingham said she was in her bedroom when she smelled the smoke.

“The smell was so strong that I was like, ‘I’m sleeping through my house burning down,’” Bingham said.

Bingham said she was surprised to learn that the woman had been cleaning with gasoline.

“Who cleans with gasoline inside?” she asked several other neighbors standing around her.

Rasmussen said damage was estimated at $150,000 and the home was likely a total loss.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Local News

...
Dan Rascon

Parents, students terrified after false alarm at Granger Elementary School

There were some terrifying moments for parents and students at Granger Elementary School Monday after word spread of a possible active shooter. That was before they found out it was a false alarm.
22 hours ago
Moose in swimming pool...
Cary Schwanitz

DWR – You don’t have to report every wildlife encounter

Utah’s mountainous terrain is home to many animals that often wander into lower elevations like neighborhoods.
22 hours ago
UDOT Station Supervisor Shawn Wright, and snowplow driver Nick Kesler look over one of the plows be...
Jed Boal

UDOT snowplow drivers are ready for the winter roads

Utah snowplow drivers are prepared for the incoming snow fall hitting the state this week.
22 hours ago
The crashed truck inside the Springville insurance office. (Mapleton City Fire Department)...
Michael Houck

Distracted driving causes car crash into insurance office, police say

A car drove into an insurance agency after a traffic accident where a vehicle ran a red light, hitting another car Monday. 
22 hours ago
Douglas Stewart Carter prisoner...
SAM METZ Associated Press

Utah to challenge judge’s ruling overturning death row conviction

Utah plans to challenge a judge's decision overturning the 1985 murder conviction of a man who has been on death row for almost four decades.
22 hours ago
Primary Children's Hospital announced Monday about 50 elective, prescheduled surgeries will be dela...
Cassidy Wixom, KSL.com

‘Unprecedented surge’ of RSV patients causes more surgery delays at children’s hospital

Primary Children's Hospital announced Monday it will be delaying 50 elective, preplanned surgeries that require the patient to stay overnight due to capacity issues from high rates of RSV and other respiratory illnesses.
22 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

house with for rent sign posted...
Chase Harrington, president and COO of Entrata

Top 5 reasons you may want to consider apartment life over owning a home

There are many benefits of renting that can be overshadowed by the allure of buying a home. Here are five reasons why renting might be right for you.
Festive kitchen in Christmas decorations. Christmas dining room....
Lighting Design

6 Holiday Decor Trends to Try in 2022

We've rounded out the top 6 holiday decor trends for 2022 so you can be ahead of the game before you start shopping. 
Happy diverse college or university students are having fun on their graduation day...
BYU MBA at the Marriott School of Business

How to choose what MBA program is right for you: Take this quiz before you apply!

Wondering what MBA program is right for you? Take this quiz before you apply to see if it will help you meet your goals.
Diverse Group of Energetic Professionals Team Meeting in Modern Office: Brainstorming IT Programmer...
Les Olson

Don’t let a ransomware attack get you down | Protect your workplace today with cyber insurance

Business owners and operators should be on guard to protect their workplace. Cyber insurance can protect you from online attacks.
Hand turning a thermostat knob to increase savings by decreasing energy consumption. Composite imag...
Lighting Design

5 Lighting Tips to Save Energy and Money in Your Home

Advances in lighting technology make it easier to use smart features to cut costs. Read for tips to save energy by using different lighting strategies in your home.
Portrait of smiling practitioner with multi-ethnic senior people...
Summit Vista

How retirement communities help with healthy aging

There are many benefits that retirement communities contribute to healthy aging. Learn more about how it can enhance your life, or the life of your loved ones.
Firefighters: Home exploded after woman used gasoline to clean