Body cam footage released of shooting involving Cottonwood Heights officer
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – Body camera footage has been released of an officer-involved shooting in Salt Lake County involving a 19-year-old who later died of his injuries.
Officials from the Cottonwood Heights Police Department released the footage Wednesday of the shooting from May 29.
Since Cottonwood Heights officers do not take their body cameras home, the officer who shot his gun was on his way to work and did not have his camera on him.
The video was from another responding officer.
While driving to work to begin his shift, the officer saw a man on a motorcycle matching the description of the suspect who robbed grocery stores that night.
The man on the motorcycle was identified as Zane James from Cottonwood Heights.
James matched the description of a man who held up a Smith’s grocery store that night, then robbed a Macey’s, and got away on a motorcycle, according to police.
James was already known to police because of a criminal history of armed robberies. There was also an active warrant out for his arrest.
When the officer attempted to pull James over, officials said a chase began.
“[The officer] basically caught up with the suspect, and at that point there were shots fired by the officer,” Sergeant Ryan Shosted said at the time.
In the video, the officer who fired at James said he shot 3 or 4 times.
James was transported to the hospital in fair condition, but died from his injuries a few days later.
Police spoke to his family Wednesday to let them know the video was being released.
“I spoke with them today before releasing and let them know it’s coming out,” said Lt. Dan Bartlett. “It’s going to be tough for them to see. It’s traumatic video to see. Hard to see that and it’s hard for them, but it’s important to show.”
The officer was placed on routine paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
The video is embedded below.
WARNING: some might consider the video graphic.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)