Preservationists say squatters are damaging historic home in Dimple Dell
SANDY, Utah – Preservationists in Sandy have asked for help from the public after someone vandalized a house they hope to restore. They suspect squatters have moved in.
A member of the Dimple Dell Preservation Community, Sierra Engle, told KSL they have been dealing with homeless camps and squatters in Dimple Dell Regional Park.
“We find a lot of homeless camps. That’s a big concern because of campfires. Dimple Dell is very, very dry in the summer. Last year, we had three fires within about two months of each other,” Engle said.
Engle said after they recently cleared some homeless camps out, someone spray painted a message on the exterior wall of the Polson House, directing an expletive at the organization.
“It’s just really sad to see,” she said.
Engle said the house dates back to the 1800s and they hope to turn it into an educational center. While they work to secure funding, though, Engle said squatters were doing damage.
“They come for a couple of days and they trash the place. There’s currently a hole in the roof from people smashing holes in the roof,” she said.
Engle wants people who use the trails to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.
“Take trails that you’re not used to taking. Explore Dimple Dell more. That’s how you’re going to find things,” Engle said. “If anything’s off, call the police. Make sure they’re notified about it. It’s not going to stop unless we keep an eye on it and we report it,”
Officials with the Sandy Police Department said they have stepped up patrols in the area.
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 12077)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 8131)
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 6707)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 4895)
- 'Laverne & Shirley' actor Cindy Williams dies at 75 (pageviews: 3897)