Teen dies after 100-foot fall at waterfall in Santaquin Canyon
SANTAQUIN, Utah – A 16-year-old girl was killed after falling about 100 feet while hiking in Santaquin Canyon.
The teen has been identified as Kaylee Marvin, of Santaquin.
Officials from the Utah County Sheriff’s Office said Kaylee was hiking with a friend Monday morning. The girls were apparently trying to cross over a small waterfall when Kaylee slipped and fell.
“On behalf of the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, we’d like to extend our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of those involved in this unforeseen tragedy today,” said Lt. Tom Hodgson.
Emergency crews were called out to the scene at 10:25 a.m.
“We had people on scene very quickly, but we just weren’t able to do what we hoped to accomplish,” said Lt. Hodgson.
Officials said the area the teens were hiking can potentially be dangerous.
“To go to this particular area you have to navigate some cliff bands and things like that,” said Lt. Hodgson. “There are some trails up there. People don’t typically hike in the area that the waterfall is, but I’ve seen people there myself.”
Officials said the waterfall was located in an area known as the Old Pioneer Log Shoot, about four miles up the canyon.
“This waterfall doesn’t really last all year, so it’s kind of a seasonal waterfall. She was navigating to get across the top of that waterfall and apparently slipped while she was hiking,” said Lt. Hodgson.
Kaylee’s friend got to her as quickly as possible and started CPR. Emergency crews arrived and took over, but Kaylee did not survive.
Authorities have asked hikers to take precautions when hiking in the area.
“Please have safeguards in place and please be careful while you’re hiking,” said Lt. Hodgson. “One misstep can lead to a tragedy like this today and we don’t want to see that happen to anyone else.”
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 15643)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 11669)
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 10835)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8469)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7504)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 7233)