Three SLC businesses hold bake sale to benefit immigrant children
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – When you think of bake sales, you may think of church events or school fundraisers. But on Friday in Salt Lake City, three businesses came together, not to benefit their bottom line, but to help those in need: young immigrant children separated from their families.
“There is a lot going on, we’re all super tired,” said Adalberto Diaz, owner of the bakery, Fillings & Emulsions.
When you’re a business owner, often times you’re in the business of being busy. There is always talk of the bottom line.
“We were hoping to sell $10,000 in two days,” Diaz said.
However, on Friday, the only dollars and cents Diaz spoke about will never go in his business’s cash drawer.
“We raised $14,171 today,” Diaz said with a smile.
All the money was raised by the community in a bake sale that quickly sold out. Every cent collected will go to a cause precious to this baker’s heart.
“I came here 18 years ago,” Diaz said. “I came to Texas and crossed the border. I was in prison for 21 days in one of those places. I was 28 and scared to death.”
He, too, once sought asylum, like many people are doing right now.
“I can only imagine what these kids are dealing with,” he said.
Diaz knows what is possible if these children are given a chance.
“The truth is, I’m tired of being angry,” Diaz said. “I’m tired of being helpless and just arguing with people online.”
On Friday, he learned the people in the community, he now calls home, care. They want to help, too.
“We have a community of Salt Lake that is amazing,” he said. “We just sparked a little bit of light and by gosh, we got a fire. We got a fire.”
Friday was so successful, volunteers and staff will be back at 2 a.m. Saturday preparing for one more day of fundraising.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 23816)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 18797)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6273)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3369)
- 4 charged in Texas semi-truck smuggling operation that left 53 migrants dead (pageviews: 3159)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3152)