Police need help identifying man responsible for nearly 20 SLC burglaries
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Salt Lake City Police Department closely examined nearly two dozen burglaries in the downtown Salt Lake area before determining they were all related.
“The whole pattern didn’t stand out at first, it got more prevalent over time,” Amberly Crowford, with the Salt Lake Police Department, said.
Crowford, along with the department, believe the same man is responsible for 20 to 25 burglaries in the area since December. They say he has hit secure apartments, storage units, and office spaces, even breaking into cars in a nearly 60-block radius, from 300 North to 650 South and 350 West to 500 East.
The department is now working to find even more surveillance images of the suspect, in hopes that the public will be able to identify him.
“When it is part of a bigger pattern or bigger series, it’s definitely helpful to have all the information,” Crowford said.
One of the burglar’s victims is Salt Lake resident Rachel Turing, who said she specifically looked for a safe and secure apartment complex to move into.
“We were actually looking for an apartment complex that had a lot of security,” she said. “We noticed there are a lot of people out on the streets, and we thought this [apartment] would be pretty safe with the different door locks and things.”
But last month, that security proved obsolete. Turing’s car, which was parked in a secure garage, was broken into.
“I just got into my car for work one day, all of the change was stolen out of the coin slot and then things from my trunk we’re actually stolen as well,” she said.
She, along with police, hope someone will be able to identify the brazen burglar before he strikes again. If you recognize the man from surveillance images, contact Salt Lake police.
You can report a tip by one of the following:
- Calling: (801) 799-INFO (4636) — you may remain anonymous
- Texting: send keyword TIPSLCPD plus information to CRIMES (274637)
- Visiting: tipsubmit.com and filling in the form
- Downloading the TipSubmit mobile phone application for Androids and iPhones
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)