Salt Lake City considering $87 million bond to improve city streets
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Salt Lake City residents may have an opportunity to vote on an $87 million bond aimed at repairing or rebuilding roads across the city.
According to a 2017 report, more than 60 percent of the city’s streets are rated at “poor” or worse.
“The poorer the road, the higher the chance you’re going to spill your coffee as you’re driving to work,” said city engineer Matthew Cassel. “There’s going to be potholes, and the possibilities of damage to your vehicle,”
Cassel said the city’s streets were well-maintained prior to the Great Recession, but when money got tight, roads suffered.
“Once we get to that stage where it’s breaking apart like that, you can’t save it, you can’t renovate it,” Cassel said as he pointed out a broken-up section of road. “It just needs to be taken out and replaced.”
Cassel said the recent sales tax increase will double their maintenance crews. If the bond goes through, 80 percent of the money would be used on major streets. The other 20 percent would go toward neighborhood streets.
“2700 South is one road that we hear quite a few complaints about,” Cassel said.
Hannah Young and Cody Miller live along 2700 South.
“I’ll take the long way around just to avoid this road. I hate driving down this road,” Young said.
“I know a lot of people who get flats on this road and their tires get low pressure after they drive a lot over here,” Miller said.
Young and Miller said cars often have to swerve and weave to maintain a smooth ride over patches in the pavement. They said they would be happy to pay a little extra in taxes for a new road.
“I think that’d be great because it definitely needs it. It definitely, definitely needs it,” Young said.
The City Council will hold a public hearing about the bond on July 31 and will hold listening sessions at several community events. The city has also set up a website, FundingOurFutureSLC.com, with more information about the bond.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)