Vandals hit four LDS churches in four days, causing thousands in damages
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah – Vandals shattered glass on the outside doors of four church buildings for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in just as many days in Salt Lake County.
Investigators with the Cottonwood Heights Police Department said they believed the culprits launched small rocks or a blunt object into the glass, causing about $2,000 in damage per building.
“We don’t have any suspect information at this time,” said Lieutenant Dan Bartlett. “We’ve stepped up patrol, and we’re asking if anyone knows anything to let us know.”
Neighbors behind one of the buildings hit at Bengal Boulevard and 2300 East said they were aware of the vandalism there, but were surprised to hear that two more buildings along that street, and one along Whitmore Way were also struck.
“Sickens me further,” Scott Kartchner said. “There are ways to have fun, and this just isn’t something that anybody should be doing.”
“It’s sad,” added neighbor Dee Conger. “I guess it must be vandalism or kids playing some pranks, but still a bad thing to have.”
Kartcher said in recent years, he’s seen an increase in crime in the area, including home burglaries that have caused people in the neighborhood to become more vigilant.
“We’ve had a couple of break-ins in the last couple of years that have made us all come together,” Kartchner said. “But (we’re) also worried that things are going to keep happening like this.”
Police have asked people in the area to keep an eye on the churches. They said the crimes seem to be happening overnight.
“They’re not entering the church,” Bartlett said. “It’s just breaking the doors. It’s just straight vandalism, so it’s frustrating for us.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)