Police Pursuit Ends in Deadly Crash, Kills Innocent Man
AMERICAN FORK, Utah – A high-speed police pursuit ended in a violent collision Friday morning, killing an elderly American Fork man, who was struck by the suspect’s vehicle.
The crash happened at 900 West State in American Fork at 9:30 a.m.
A Utah County sheriff’s deputy pulled over the driver of a pickup near 500 East and State Street. The driver took off, and the deputy went after him, sometimes reaching speeds of 70 miles an hour along Main Street.
The pursuit continued on I-15 for about a mile before the suspect exited at Lehi’s Main Street. He drove for several blocks before deputies say he ran a red light and slammed into a passenger car in the intersection.
Witnesses told KSL-TV police had the suspect at gunpoint when they took him into custody.
A woman, who was driving the passenger car, was able to walk away from the crash with only minor injuries, but her husband was killed by the impact of the collision.
Investigators from the Utah Highway Patrol are investigating, while American Fork police handle the criminal investigation.
Police are not releasing the suspect’s name or the names of the victims.
This story will be updated.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)