I-15 In Sandy Buckles Under Heat, Could Cause Weekend Delays
SANDY, Utah – Workers with the Utah Department of Transportation, or UDOT, will have to close down three lanes on the northbound Interstate 15 on-ramp at 9000 South to repair a section of the road that buckled under the heat.
“The concrete panels expand, and if there’s debris or rocks between the panels in the joints, then sometimes it doesn’t have anywhere to go but up,” said UDOT spokesman John Gleason.
Gleason said that type of problem used to happen more often with older pavement, but still comes up when we experience several very hot days in a row.
“We haven’t had as many recently, but with the temperatures as hot as they’ve been, and more extended days of 90 to 100 degrees, we could see more of these,” Gleason said.
While repairs could begin late Friday, Gleason pointed out that people who may be in Sandy on Saturday will want to consider taking another route. With a Utah Royals FC game happening at Rio Tinto Stadium, there could be added congestion.
“You may want to use 10600 south to get onto northbound I-15 instead,” Gleason said.
Gleason added that if drivers spot similar problems on the road, they should let UDOT know as soon as possible. Those issues can be reported via the UDOT website, or their Click n’ Fix smartphone app.
Get the iPhone app
Get the Google Play app
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch (pageviews: 12560)
- Live (pageviews: 6781)
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6738)
- Flood watch over popular Utah recreation areas Sunday (pageviews: 4740)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 3594)
- At least 2 injured after semi hauling beehives tips on I-80 (pageviews: 3326)