High 5 for Salt Lake City Mission Volunteer Cook
Hot buttered corn, freshly sliced watermelon and hot dogs: It’s the perfect summer meal being served this day at the Salt Lake City Mission by volunteer Amie Gange.
About eight months ago, Amie began looking for a way to give back.
“I thought I’ve got to use my skills, and the thing I do love to do is I love to cook.”
She eventually found her way to the Mission, where she quickly found many people in need of a homemade meal.
“So I thought I’ll just bring in food once a week.”
And that’s what she’s been doing every week for the past eight months: serving about 50 people each visit, remembering many of them by name.
“I think to be spoken to as a friend and a person, to remember somebody’s name is valuable, I think it means something in this world.”
Amie pays for the food out of her own pocket, which is why we surprised her with a visit from America First Credit Union.
“We have $1,000 to you for a thank you for giving back and we appreciate all you do,” says Phil Harrison with America First.
“She has an amazing heart to give back to the community and help the less fortunate, so, we wish we had at least 10 of her,” says Joe Vazquez, co-director of Salt Lake City Mission.
A High 5 to Amie for taking her passion for cooking and turning into a compassionate act of service.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)