Utah Motorcyclist Uses Her Accident Experience to Start Rider Safety Group
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – There was no way to avoid colliding with the car in front of her. Elvecia Ramos says on July 10, 2016, while riding her motorcycle, she and her friend collided with a car turning left in front of them.
“I just thought, ‘Oh my God, oh no.’ I just could believe it,” Ramos said. “It was a distracted driver, and he was making a left turn and he just didn’t see us.”
The crash sent both riders to the hospital for a three-week stay.
“I had a broken right ankle, fractured left ankle and torn ligaments,” Ramos said.
It was during her time in the hospital she went searching for a motorcyclist injury support group.
“I just needed to talk to someone else who had been through this, but my doctor said there wasn’t a support group like that,” she said.
Ramos decided to create a group of her own, calling it the Riderz Foundation. She said it started as a support group, but quickly grew into a safety education organization.
“In less than 24 hours of when we started the group, we had over 200 people that signed up for our first meeting,” she said.
Attendees said the session highlighted what they should to stay safe.
“I learned the ‘what if’ scenario. What if this car pulls out, where am I going to go? Where is my escape route?,” said motorcyclist Annette Ault.
“Last year we had about 14 fatalities during this time, right now we have 27. So it’s not looking good,” she said.
Her hope with classes like these is to get all motorists on the same page.
“Let’s just try to help each other out to stay safer on the roads,” she said.
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 20182)
- Three People Seriously Injured After Falling At Stewart Falls (pageviews: 9674)
- Three-Year-Old Child Drowns In Residential Pool In St. George (pageviews: 9639)
- Cache County Woman Dies Of COVID-19; State Total At 98 (pageviews: 7686)
- Woman Killed After Meeting Suspect On Tinder In Layton (pageviews: 7627)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5371)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 5158)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 5055)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4454)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 4235)