Utah Motorcyclist Uses Her Accident Experience to Start Rider Safety Group
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – There was no way to avoid colliding with the car in front of her. Elvecia Ramos says on July 10, 2016, while riding her motorcycle, she and her friend collided with a car turning left in front of them.
“I just thought, ‘Oh my God, oh no.’ I just could believe it,” Ramos said. “It was a distracted driver, and he was making a left turn and he just didn’t see us.”
The crash sent both riders to the hospital for a three-week stay.
“I had a broken right ankle, fractured left ankle and torn ligaments,” Ramos said.
It was during her time in the hospital she went searching for a motorcyclist injury support group.
“I just needed to talk to someone else who had been through this, but my doctor said there wasn’t a support group like that,” she said.
Ramos decided to create a group of her own, calling it the Riderz Foundation. She said it started as a support group, but quickly grew into a safety education organization.
“In less than 24 hours of when we started the group, we had over 200 people that signed up for our first meeting,” she said.
Attendees said the session highlighted what they should to stay safe.
“I learned the ‘what if’ scenario. What if this car pulls out, where am I going to go? Where is my escape route?,” said motorcyclist Annette Ault.
“Last year we had about 14 fatalities during this time, right now we have 27. So it’s not looking good,” she said.
Her hope with classes like these is to get all motorists on the same page.
“Let’s just try to help each other out to stay safer on the roads,” she said.
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 41380)
- Intermountain COVID-19 PSA: 'There's A War Going On' (pageviews: 8407)
- Provo Man Shot By Family Member Who Thought He Was Intruder, Police Say (pageviews: 4614)
- Political Opponents For Utah Governor Release Joint Ads Calling For Civility (pageviews: 3477)
- Man Set Woman On Fire In Murray, Police Say; Suspect At Large (pageviews: 3448)
- Leaders Plead With Utahns To Do Their Part As State Reports 1,543 New COVID Cases (pageviews: 3092)
- Utah Reports 314 Current Hospitalizations, 1,363 New COVID-19 Cases, 6 New Deaths (pageviews: 2182)
- Utah Teacher Hospitalized After Breaking Back On Vacation (pageviews: 2150)
- Police: Roy High Teacher Arrested, Accused Of Enticing Minor (pageviews: 2105)