WATCH: Full Pioneer Day Parade
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Like the pioneers 171 years ago, Days of ’47 parade participants walked through Salt Lake City on Tuesday.
Marching bands, military members, and more than 100 floats made their way down South Temple and State Street to waiting crowds. Many in the crowd had been camping on the street overnight to get the best views of the parade in the morning.
— Shara Park (@KSLSharaPark) July 24, 2018
More than 250,000 people came to watch the parade, where they saw everything from dancers to the largest free flying flag being carried by members of the military.
Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski thanked Salt Lake City police and fire for keeping everyone safe during the parade, and during the marathon before the parade.
It was a great day for to celebrate Utah! Thank you to @slcpd & @slcfire for ensuring everyone was safe…from the marathon runners to the parade watchers! #DaysOf47 #pioneerday pic.twitter.com/NUNy2nEvgc
— Mayor J. Biskupski (@slcmayor) July 24, 2018
President Trump sent a message from the White House thanking the Mormon pioneers for their contributions to America. “Our nation honors the ingenuity, industry, and unwavering commitment to faith of all those who endured frontier hardship,” the release stated. “The legacy they helped build across the American West lives on through hundreds of of cities and towns that continue to thrive in the 21st century.”
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 23816)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 18797)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6273)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3369)
- 4 charged in Texas semi-truck smuggling operation that left 53 migrants dead (pageviews: 3159)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3152)