Spectators Jump to Help After Wasatch County Demolition Derby Incident
HEBER, Utah – A large group of spectators at a Wasatch County demolition derby jumped into action when a worker was injured Friday night.
The incident happened around 9:00 Friday night. Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Jared Rigby said two cars collided, sending one onto the top of a concrete barrier on the perimeter of the ring. Another vehicle then hit the car, causing the concrete barrier to fall over onto a nearby official.
“Both concrete barriers came over and landed on his legs, causing some crushing injuries to both his legs,” Rigby said.
Linda and Grant Horsley were in the front row and saw the incident happen.
“All I heard from Grant was, ‘Oh my gosh’ and then he took off running,” Linda Horsley said.
Grant Horsley jumped the fence to see what he could do. Video from the scene shows a large crowd join in the efforts to help the man.
“Some of the crowd moves around and we start pushing the car. Once we got the car out of the way, it was maybe five seconds later that we were able to lift up the barricade,” Grant Horsley said. “When you see someone in danger or someone in pain, you want to try and take that away as best you can. The whole community came together and tried to do that,”
Paramedics took the man to the hospital. Rigby said he was up and walking around on Sunday.
Linda Horsley said she was touched by what she saw.
“I thought, ‘I just witnessed something completely amazing’. I mean, just to see all these people come and help this man in need. It was incredible,” she said. “It brings tears to my eyes how much people care and what they’ll do for others in need,”
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5415)
- Locations of 6 international temples released (pageviews: 4509)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 3865)
- Police confirm no shooting has occurred at Granger Elementary School; school evacuated (pageviews: 2338)
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 2300)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 2293)