Utah Nonprofit Offers Reward For Cold Case Conviction Tips
The nonprofit Utah Cold Case Coalition wants to help bring closure for victims of unsolved murders and disappearances.
Tuesday, in the presence of family members of cold case victims from Utah, coalition co-founders announced they’re offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to a conviction or to a “‘firm conviction in our mind that the case has been solved.”
Coalition co-founder Karra Porter said the coalition members hope to increase the reward in the future if they can raise more money.
For family members KSL spoke to, the hard work of the group gave them hope and made them not feel alone. For others, having to hold their loved one’s photo brought back the sadness of their loved one’s loss all over again.
“You know, you wish your family member was just a phone call away. It sucks you can’t hear their voice anymore. You don’t have answers and it’s definitely something that weighs on your mind,” said Kelsey Robertson.
Her father Christopher was found in a sewer manhole in Price in 2011. Many questions still remain about this death.
The coalition is also asking for volunteers with certain skills like sketch artists, people who can review medical records, and folks to perform ground-penetrating radar, among other things, to help them follow leads.
“I’ve been in their shoes. My father was missing for 33 days and I know what these people are going through,” she said crying.
Hachmeister is a co-founder of Utah Search Dogs, Inc. who gives her time to this coalition.
Utah Cold Case Coalition Founders also urged folks with DNA at Ancestry.com, MyHeritage, and 23andMe to file their profiles on GEDMatch.com to help solve violent crimes like the recent Golden State Killer suspect identification.
If you think you know any information about a cold case in Utah, call police or the coalition’s 24/7 tip line at 385-CLUE-313. You can also reach out to them there to volunteer.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 3683)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)