Fire Destroys Apartments in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY, — Some families believe they have lost everything in a Salt Lake City apartment fire.
Salt Lake City Fire Capt. Dan Marlowe said crews responded to an apartment fire at the Seasons at Pebble Creek Apartments near 1700 South and Snow Queen Place around 2 a.m. Wednesday.
He said the fire started in a third-floor apartment and burnt through the roof.
Firefighters evacuated about 60 people from that building and three surrounding apartments as a precaution.
They had the fire under control around 4:30 a.m., but Capt. Marlowe expected firefighters to be on scene for quite some time.
He said it’s a tricky area to attack because of where the apartment building is located, but he said firefighters were prepared and familiar with the area.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Capt. Marlowe said propane grills on apartment decks helped to fuel this fire.
We’re still waiting to hear of how many people lost their homes and the extent of damage, but Capt. Marlowe expected the third floor to be completely destroyed and the second floor quite damaged, too.
Rebecca and Jeremy Young smelled the smoke from their third-floor apartment and got their five kids out immediately. They watched as the fire burnt through their apartment.
“We’re just over there probably about 10 to 15 minutes ago and fire was in our apartment. Knocking down windows,” said Jeremy Young. “We’re thankful everyone got out. Things can be replaced, but it’s still — it’s a loss.”
For now, their kids are with friends and they’ve been in contact with the American Red Cross, who they said showed up to help victims.
Fourteen fire trucks were on scene. Capt. Marlowe estimated about 60 to 65 firefighters helped fight the fire.
He said two residents were injured. One was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation and another for jumping off a balcony. Fire officials don’t believe that was a necessity.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)