Draper Firefighter Killed Battling California Wildfire
DRAPER CITY, Utah – The Utah firefighter killed battling the Mendocino Complex Fire in California was a member of the Draper City Fire Department.
Chief Matt Burchett, 42, was one of five Draper firefighters sent to help fight the largest wildfire in California state history, according to their spokesperson.
Draper City released this statement in a tweet, “Our hearts are breaking as we announce the loss of one of Draper City’s firefighters in the Mendocino Fire last night. Words cannot explain how it feels to lose a true hero. We sent five of our team members to California to battle these terrible fires. A very sad day in Draper.”
Our hearts are breaking as we announce the loss of one of Draper City’s firefighters in the Mendocino Fire last night. Words cannot explain how it feels to lose a true hero. We sent five of our team members to California to battle these terrible fires. A very sad day in Draper. pic.twitter.com/xwblMVzzJt
— Draper City (@drapercity) August 14, 2018
In a press conference Monday, California fire officials said the Utah firefighter died at a hospital Monday night.
They said he was injured and airlifted working an active portion of the fire.
“A firefighter from Utah was working on an active portion of the fire where he was injured this evening. The firefighter was airlifted to a local hospital where he succumbed from his injuries. We are extremely heartbroken for this loss.,” said Chief Jerry McGowan, Incident Commander of the Mendocino Complex Fire.
California fire officials said they are dedicated to investigating what happened.
“To the men and women who have circled us, to the hundreds of firefighters that I’ve seen every day, we thank you. We thank you for coming to our small corner of the world and risking your life, being away from your family. today, tomorrow, and the next year, we will mourn the loss of a true hero,” said Mendocino County Sheriff Thomas Allman.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 8768)
- Get Gephardt: Husband sued for deceased wife’s unpaid medical bill - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6320)
- Judge calls Orem mayor 'lynchpin' in fraud case, orders him and son to pay $1M (pageviews: 5012)
- NB I-15 reopens following crash, massive oil spill in Draper - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4958)
- NB I-15 closed in Draper following multi-car crash, oil spill (pageviews: 4861)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4639)