Rescuers Aid Shelter In Placing Dozens of Confiscated Dogs
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah – Rescue groups from as far away as St. George are helping the city’s animal shelter to find new homes for dozens of dogs recovered from a house in Taylorsville last week.
The nearly 125 animals were uncovered at a house that officials ultimately condemned because of the conditions found inside.
“It’s a mess — it really is,” said West Valley City Animal Services director David Moss. “You’re talking feces piled up — it’s just an awful environment.”
Despite the environment, Moss said the dogs were in better shape than they expected to find, and workers were collaborating with animal advocacy and adoption groups to find new homes for many of the pets.
“I brought all of our volunteers here today to make decisions and let them pick and see which one would work best for them in their homes,” said Maryjo Korb, founder of Utah Animal Advocacy Foundation, who had been doing what she could to help at the shelter for much of Monday.
Lulu Hart of Providing Animals With Support, or PAWS, drove from St. George to see if the group could find homes for as many as 20 dogs.
“So this is a lucky puppy,” Hart said of a Chihuahua in her arms. “This puppy is going to go into a loving home and not be in a bad situation.”
Moss said the influx of dogs from the Taylorsville home essentially tripled the shelter’s typical dog population.
While several groups were working on their own to place the pets, Moss said many dogs remained and he encouraged those who believed they could provide a good home to reach out.
Moss said animal services officers were still reviewing the case, along with the city of Taylorsville.
Korb said she was touched by the various groups coming together to find homes for the animals.
“Everybody reaches in and does what they need to do,” Korb said. “I think they’re all doing wonderful things.”
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 21340)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 8551)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 7157)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 6307)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 3940)