Daughters Find Creative Way To Raise Awareness About Mom’s Need For A Kidney
KEARNS, Utah – Sometimes the simple things in life become easier to enjoy when life becomes challenging.
“I started feeling really weird, so I went to the doctor and he said your kidneys are failing,” said Tamara Doty.
Tamara began dialysis three times a week at a medical clinic, but for the past year she has to be on a machine every night at home for 10 hours while she waits on the kidney transplant list.
“It’s overwhelming, really, because I didn’t think of doing anything like this,” she said.
No one in Tamara’s family is a match, including her daughter Mindy Boyd.
“I did go to the doctor with her and they said that she has to find one soon or they are going to take her off the list,” Boyd said.
So late one night in January, she had an idea.
“It says need kidney, type O positive,” which she wrote on the back windows of her SUV with white shoe polish.
“I have had a lot of people call me and text me,” Boyd added.
That allowed her to refer them to the donor registry.
She still hasn’t found a willing donor who is a match, but now “I’m at the top of the list, No. 1 now they told me,” Doty said.
As she waits, there is one thing she said is more important than a kidney: her daughter.
“She is wonderful, I don’t think I could live without her,” Doty added.
Mindy hopes that if you can’t help her mom, you will at least consider being a living donor and helping someone else who needs a kidney.
Visit https://www.yesutah.org/ for more information.
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7375)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 7194)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6211)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5382)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station (pageviews: 4290)
- Centerville wildfire ‘most likely’ caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4224)