High 5: Lehi Girl Compelled To Help Stansbury Stranger
LEHI, Utah — Soccer fans 14-year-old Makenna Roberts and 12-year-old Aspen Cowley know the value of teamwork.
While Makenna favors defense and Aspen likes offense, they know you need both to make a good team.
“You lose, you lose as a team. You win, you win as a team,” said Aspen of Lehi.
Five months ago Makenna was shocked to find out she had Ewing’s sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer.
Aspen heard about Makenna’s diagnosis through a mutual connection.
She knew she had to do something.
“As soon as my dad told me, I immediately that Saturday went on my bike and headed out to the neighborhood,” said Aspen.
She has since gathered hundreds of dollars for Makenna’s family the past couple of months using donation jars.
“I’ve been putting these at gas stations around town and people have been donating their extra cash and stuff,” said Aspen, showing Makenna the donation bin they dropped off at a Highland gas station together.
The teens just recently met.
“It’s crazy,” said Makenna.
“Why is it crazy?” asked KSL’s Caitlin Burchill.
The money is giving some relief to Makenna’s family, whose daily lives have changed dramatically since her diagnosis.
“We do have health insurance and I work in the health care field, and until you’re right in the midst of it, you don’t understand the expense, even the daily expense,” said Makenna’s mom, Shelli Roberts. “Right now, we’re going to Primary’s for radiation every single day.”
So to thank Aspen, KSL had to surprise her with a High 5.
We gave Aspen an iPod touch and Makenna some cash.
Real Salt Lake is sending the teens to a game.
Today’s High 5 is a well-deserved thank you to a stranger for stepping up to help her newfound teammate.
Those donation containers can be found at Harts gas stations in Utah County. Below is a list of other ways to help:
https://miracleformakenna.com/ (T-shirts, bracelets, and donations)
Miracleformakenna on Facebook
Kickincancerscan.com (5k, raffle, and bake sale. Four cancer patients benefit from the proceeds.)
On opening weekend for the Utah Grizzlies, 25 percent of proceeds go to Makenna. Call 801-988-8007 for tickets, and mention Miracle for Makenna to get the deal.
- Live (pageviews: 9847)
- Missionaries From Utah, Montana Killed In New Mexico Car Crash (pageviews: 8506)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 6429)
- Utah Woman Shares Experience As 'Breakthrough' COVID-19 Case After Getting J&J Vaccine (pageviews: 5395)
- Utah Woman Shares Experience As ‘Breakthrough’ COVID-19 Case After Getting J&J Vaccine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2133)
- Salt Lake Co. DA Rules Officer Justified In Fatal Shooting Of Handcuffed Man In West Valley (pageviews: 2063)
- Cancer Misinformation On The Rise On Social Media, Huntsman Cancer Institute Study Says (pageviews: 1955)
- Family Calls District Attorney's Ruling 'Systemic Failure' (pageviews: 1863)
- Days Of ’47 Parade: Road Closures, Times & How To Watch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1525)