Firefighters Battling Extreme Behavior From Pole Creek, Bald Mountain Fires
SALEM, Utah – Officials expected more extreme behavior from the Pole Creek Fire and the Bald Mountain Fire as they battled the blazes Friday.
The Pole Creek Fire burned about 54,853 acres so far, according to an early morning infrared radar flight. The Bald Mountain Fire has scorched an estimated 14,494 acres.
Public Information Officer Toby Weed said both fires are expected to inevitably combine.
“We have very, very dry, warm conditions, which are perfect for extreme fire growth,” said Weed
He added that winds are expected to pick up again throughout the day.
“Really the biggest problem is the weather,” he said. “The weather is creating this monster out of the fire. It’s not something we can manage and control.”
Evacuations remain in Woodland Hills, Elk Ridge, and Covered Bridges. Highway 89 in Spanish Fork is still closed between Thistle Junction (mile 312) to the Utah/Sanpete County line (mile 298).
“Heed any evacuation notice,” Weed said. “Definitely get out of the way of this fire because this fire is mean. you need to move out of the way.”
The American Red Cross has set up a shelter at Salem Hills High School.
Fire officials are urging folks to be cognizant this weekend as they already have their hands full.
“Just be really careful with fire right now,” Weed said. “There’s a Red Flag Warning in effect. It’d be really easy for somebody to spark a fire. All you need to do is drive your ATV on some dry grass and you can start a large fire.”
- Anchorage Alaska Temple to be rebuilt, moved to a new location - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8444)
- Search warrant reveals neighbors discovered bodies of Haight family (pageviews: 7455)
- Body found inside limestone kiln in Salt Lake City foothills (pageviews: 6751)
- Slain Enoch girl texted friend that dad was acting strange and she was worried (pageviews: 5763)
- ‘Overwhelming’ response for radon testing after Lehi woman shares cancer diagnosis story - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5046)
- Snow College employee found dead in off-campus student housing unit (pageviews: 3984)