Weber High Evacuated After Students Feel Ill
Sep 17, 2018, 7:38 PM
PLEASANT VIEW, Utah – Weber High School was evacuated and classes canceled for the day after several students reported feeling ill.
Officials said five students reported feeling sick while in a medical anatomy class Monday. At least two were transported to the hospital by ambulance.
Weber School District spokesperson Lane Findlay said the problem started in the class. Then, other students reported some mild symptoms of feeling shaky, and light-headed.
“They decided to go ahead and evacuate the school,” Findlay said. “(Firefighters) set up several evacuation points where (EMTs were) evaluating students, and there were several others that came forward during that time, complaining of symptoms.”
Sophomore Abbi Hansen said she was one of those students.
“I just felt kind of shaky, and a little light-headed,” Hansen said.
“(I) had to come get her. I was scared to death,” said her mom, Tiffani Hansen. “Hopefully the kids are okay. They looked okay. Some of them were a little sick.”
Firefighters from the North View Fire District initially found signs of carbon monoxide gas, but could not conclude whether that was the cause.
Findlay said the investigators determined that the building would be safe for classes on Tuesday. He added that school staff would keep a close eye on the situation.