Mom Who Lost Son To Suicide Is Hosting First Ever Herriman Family Wellness Fair
HERRIMAN, Utah – After a heartbreaking year in Herriman, the community is hosting the Herriman Family Wellness Fair for the very first time. One woman who’s felt the pain of losing a child is dedicating her life to helping her community.
Catherine Voutaz lost her 16-year-old son to suicide a little over a year ago. She said this photo reflects how her son likely felt.
“They’re light on one side and darker in the shadows on the other,” she described.
Voutaz said she didn’t expect her son’s death.
“It looks like we live in a place that nothing could happen here… and yet people are taking their own lives,” she said.
Voutaz’s son, Chandler Voutaz, was the first of many to complete suicide in what was a difficult year for the Herriman Community. Today she is devoting her life to helping others.
For the first time, she’s organizing the Herriman Family Wellness Fair focused on improving all aspects of health.
“What we need to do is bring together wellness and that means people need to be safe, they need to be physically fit, they need to watch what they’re eating, [and] they need to be emotionally well. They need to think about what spiritually they need to be,” she explained.
They’re offering free yoga and pilates, a music therapy introduction, and gardening tips. And a chance to learn from local healthcare providers, fitness experts, and mental health advocates.
“We would have helped Chandler. We would have done anything in the world to still have him with us. Anything!” Voutaz said.
She believes bringing resources to Herriman can make a difference.
Voutaz said, “But they’re others out there who are still here that can use the help and the resources that are available.”
The Herriman Family Wellness Fair is this Saturday September 29th at the Herriman City Hall with exercise classes starting in the morning and more than 60 informational booths opening at 1pm.
Voutaz encourages people to bring their kids for live music, face painting, rock climbing, and other family friendly activities.
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13500)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 8905)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 8598)
- Neighborhood supports family of West Jordan mom killed in Big Cottonwood Canyon crash (pageviews: 7665)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 6396)
- Heber homicide suspect found dead in Oregon (pageviews: 4997)