Governor Calls For Special Session Following Proposition 2 Compromise
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Following more than a year of a seemingly insurmountable divide and sometimes embittered debate over the future of medical marijuana in Utah, several key players announced a comprehensive compromise Thursday on the issue that they hope to get passed into law.
Utah Gov. Gary Herbert called for a special session of the Utah Legislature following the election in November to discuss a new “shared vision” for medical cannabis policy.
The Deseret News first reported the agreement Tuesday following recent private talks involving legislative leaders and others. Herbert formally announced that compromise Thursday, flanked at the state Capitol by legislators and the very groups that have been so sharply at odds over the merits of Proposition 2.
Proposition 2 remains on the ballot and cannot be amended before Election Day. In November, voters will have a chance to say yes or no to the measure as it currently stands.
Those for and against the initiative continue to disagree on whether Proposition 2 should pass, but suggested that regardless of the Election Day results, the policies agreed to as part of a wide-ranging compromise should ultimately be passed by the Legislature in the special session.
Hebert’s office confirmed the special session will be held regardless of whether Proposition 2 passes. Both leaders of the House and the Senate said they believe they have the votes to pass the compromise.
“We’ll have an opportunity to address these things legislatively… with the ability to pass a better bill with a comprehensive regulatory framework,” the governor said.
Visit DeseretNews.com for more details.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 3683)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)