General Conference Ends With the Announcement of 12 New Temples
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – In an unprecedented announcement, President Russell M. Nelson announced the plans to build 12 temples around the world, the most temples announced in one day by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
President Nelson said the temples will be built in Mendoza, Argentina; Salvador, Brazil; Yuba City, California; Phnom Penh, Cambodia; Praia, Cape Verde; Yigo, Guam; Puebla, Mexico; Auckland, New Zealand; Lagos, Nigeria; Davao, Philippines; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Washington County, Utah.
With 159 temples already in operation, along with those under construction or previously announced, the total is now 201 temples around the world. And for the first time in its 125 year history, the Salt Lake Temple will close for renovation, along with other pioneer era temples in Utah.
While no time frame was given on when these restorations will take place, President Nelson urged church members to make the temple a priority in their lives.
“Our need to be in the temple on a regular basis has never been greater. I plead with you to take a prayerful look at how you spend your time. Invest time in your future and in that of your family. If you have reasonable access to a temple, I urge you to find a way to make an appointment regularly with the Lord—to be in His holy house–then keep that appointment with exactness and joy,” he said.
The temple announced in Washington County, will become Utah’s 20th temple. Two other temples have been announced previously, in Saratoga Springs and Layton, but those temples are still in the planning stage.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 16557)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16009)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 13809)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 9044)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7278)
- Missing Massachusetts girl found in Utah; man arrested for alleged human trafficking - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3003)