Woman Dies After Rolling SUV Into Construction Pit
WEST JORDAN, Utah – A 28-year-old woman was killed in West Jordan after her SUV crashed into a 15-foot construction pit.
Authorities said the incident happened just before 7 a.m. Monday on New Bingham Highway in West Jordan.
Officials with the West Jordan Police Department said the woman was driving eastbound on New Bingham Highway when the driver of a construction vehicle going west attempted to turn left in front of her. She swerved to miss it, overcorrected and rolled off the roadway, into the construction pit.
Police said she was the only person in the vehicle, and it did not appear she was wearing a seatbelt.
Police said a witness to the crash called 911.
The road was closed from 6400 West to State Route 111 for most of the morning.
When officers arrived on the scene, they said it was apparent that the woman had died from her injuries.
“There are no street lights, there are no ambient lights, so it’s quite primitive in that aspect,” said Sgt. Dan Roberts. “It just reinforces the importance for us to pay attention as drivers, and for us to be cognizant of everything we do. Be cognitive of how our actions affect other people and wear our safety equipment. A safety belt here could have (led to) a different income.”
The speed limit in the area is 50 mph, but police said it did not appear she was going very fast.
Authorities have been in communication with workers at the site, and they have been cooperating.
The woman’s identity was not yet released, pending notification of her family.
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16465)
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8845)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8387)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7811)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6345)